Old Boardman Bridge

Boardman Road and Route 7


A hike through Sega Meadows Park will bring you near the Old Boardman Bridge, the longest (at 188 feet) of Connecticut’s three surviving lenticular truss wrought-iron bridges. The Berlin Iron Company of Berlin, Connecticut, built the span over the Housatonic River in 1887-88, adorning it with several ornamental touches: latticework, winged orb finials and floral motifs above the portals. The bridge was named after the Boardman family, who descended from New Milford’s first minister. It helped connect local farmers, nearby lime quarries and a workers village that had its own school, store and train stop. The New Milford Trust for Historic Preservation donated an informational sign in 2018 that’s posted at the west end of the bridge. A painting of the bridge, done in the 1970s by renowned New Milford artist Woldemar Neufeld, hangs in Town Hall. Though long closed to foot and vehicular traffic, efforts are ongoing to restore and reopen the bridge to pedestrians.
No items found.