Built in 1886 by the Housatonic Railroad Company, the former train station represents a big piece of the town’s history. The railroad helped bring boom times to New Milford, making it a major commerce player and a popular tourist destination for summer vacationers in the late 1800s.
The 1½-story Victorian building is topped with a gable roof and extended eaves that still have some of the original cast-iron supporting posts. The building was much more than a place for arrivals and departures. Its telegraph in the ticket office turned the station into an unofficial gathering place. The telegraph operator often played newscaster, relaying World Series scores and results of presidential elections.
In modern times, the building was named for the town's first selectman, Clifford C. Chapin. Today, the site is home of the New Milford Chamber of Commerce, Gallery 25 art gallery and a substation of the New Milford Police Department.