101 Aspetuck Avenue
Canterbury School, at the top of Aspetuck Avenue, includes the property once known as Ingleside School, established in 1890 by Sarah Sanford Black, widow of William Black, of Ball, Black & Company, Tiffany’s rival jewelry store. The Black mansion on Hickory Hearth was destroyed by fire, but the gatehouse to the mansion at 73 Aspetuck Avenue remains. Behind the gatehouse is the first well dug in New Milford. Canterbury, a private college preparatory school established in 1915 by Nelson Hume, has flourished on the Ingleside grounds and land to the north. Its English Collegiate Gothic chapel was designed by architect Raphael Hume and built in 1927. It contains stained glass windows by D’Ascenzio Studios of Philadelphia. D’Ascenzio also did windows for the Folger Shakespeare Library, the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., and the Riverside Church in New York City. A mile marker erected in 1788 by Zachariah Sanford, Sarah Sanford Black’s grandfather, stands near the chapel.